View all Vaccines
Coding for BEXSERO
This section provides the vaccine product codes as well as some common administration codes associated with immunization using BEXSERO. Administration codes will vary based on the service provided. Please refer to your most up-to-date Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and International Classification of Diseases (ICD) manuals for appropriate coding.
BEXSERO is a vaccine indicated for active immunization to prevent invasive disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup B. BEXSERO is approved for use in individuals 10 through 25 years of age.
Approval of BEXSERO is based on demonstration of immune response, as measured by serum bactericidal activity against three serogroup B strains representative of prevalent strains in the United States. The effectiveness of BEXSERO against diverse serogroup B strains has not been confirmed.
||BEXSERO is supplied as a 0.5 mL suspension in a glass pre-filled syringe. The tip caps of the pre-filled syringes contain natural rubber latex, the plungers are not made with natural rubber latex.
|Syringe in Package of 1
|Syringe in Package of 10
To promote accuracy, always consult the most current Prescribing Information or product packaging when documenting NDCs.
|Immunization Administration Codes (CPT) 
||Immunization administration through 18 years of age with counseling by physician or other qualified healthcare professional
||Immunization administration via any route, first vaccine/toxoid component
||Immunization administration of any vaccine for a patient through 18 years of age that is not accompanied by counseling, or for administration of vaccines to patients over 18 years of age
||Immunization administration (includes percutaneous, intradermal, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections), one vaccine (single or combination vaccine/toxoid)
||Immunization administration (includes percutaneous, intradermal, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections), each additional vaccine (single or combination vaccine/toxoid) (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
| Adapted from the American Medical Association, CPT 2017 Professional Edition,
Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), 2016.
If reporting multiple vaccine administrations given to a patient through age 18 years on the same date along with counseling by a qualified healthcare professional, report one administration code (90460) for each vaccine administered.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- BEXSERO is contraindicated in cases of hypersensitivity, including severe allergic reaction, to any component of the vaccine, or after a previous dose of BEXSERO
- Appropriate observation and medical treatment should always be readily available in case of an anaphylactic event following the administration of the vaccine
- The tip caps of the prefilled syringes contain natural rubber latex, which may cause allergic reactions in latex-sensitive individuals
- Syncope (fainting) can occur in association with administration of BEXSERO. Ensure procedures are in place to avoid injury from falling associated with syncope
- The most common solicited adverse reactions observed in clinical trials were pain at the injection site (≥83%), myalgia (≥48%), erythema (≥45%), fatigue (≥35%), headache (≥33%), induration (≥28%), nausea (≥18%), and arthralgia (≥13%)
- Vaccination with BEXSERO may not provide protection against all meningococcal serogroup B strains
- Vaccination with BEXSERO may not result in protection in all vaccine recipients
818001R0 March 2017
Please note that this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to serve as comprehensive training on medical billing and coding. Additional training on medical coding may be required. The information on this website is believed to be accurate as of the date of publication. Users should independently verify accuracy.
Healthcare providers are responsible for making the ultimate decision on when to use a specific product based on clinical recommendations and how to bill for products and related services rendered. Consult third-party insurers' guidelines for specific information regarding the billing and reporting of services rendered.